Hubs and I are headed south for the weekend to lovely Charleston. Watch for some posts on our trip in the next few weeks!
My brother and sister in law sent a lovely box to us this week with all sorts of goodies. I wouldn’t say we have a chocolate problem, but with all the chocolate they sent us, we may need to reevaluate that…
For those of you I am friends with on Facebook, I posted this photo this morning and asked for guesses on where we might have picked it up.
Although I did get a few good ones, the correct answer is the White House.
- I found this article very inspiring. Living in an urban area, this is an issue that I rarely get to see aleviated.
- This video have been making the rounds the last day or so. For good reason too, its pretty adorable!
- Might need to make these muffins soon. LAQ has been raving about them and they look delish!
- I will be attempting this mole using the chocolate in the blue packaging in the photo above. Never tried mole before but I love it!
- Its official! Starting Monday I am going to be doing Jamie Eason’s Live Fit Trainer. I’ll be tracking weight, body fat and measurements just to see how things change. I probably wont be sharing those details, but I will check in with other achievements like increased setting new lifting PRs, energy, etc.
Apple smoked bacon from Trader Joes, grass fed beef from a local farm, pineapple, jalapeños and I could go on and on. Go check out the recipe at Civilized Caveman and make this now!
America’s Future Foundation’s monthly Roundtable on Immigration Policy hosted by the American Enterprise Institute and covered live by CSPAN2.
I love these events
I love DC
These are two reasons why I am exactly where I need to be.
Hubs and I have been in a bit of a dinner rut lately and spending way too many nits defaulting to the local Mexican restaurant for our evening sustenance/post workout refueling. There are many reasons why making this a habit has been bad! Sadly, after all the holidays and my unpredictable travel schedule, I haven’t had the time or capacity to deal with it. Until the last week or so.
I finally sat down to come up with a list of dinners that both D and I can make without too much of a production and still falls into the “foods D will eat” category. Having an extremely picky husband has been a challenge for the foodie in me!
We all have our favorite recipes Mom made. For me, high on the list was this amazing salad. Since we all went Gluten Free, and now Paleo, it needed a few tweaks. The original recipe called for crispy wonton strips and sugar – both no no’s. The problem is, the sweet dressing and crunchiness in the salad is what really makes it awesome. After consulting with Mom (who is also GF and having the same dilemma) I added a few substitutions, crossed my fingers and tried the recipe again.
1/2 chopped cabbage (I used 2 bags of the preshredded from Trader Joes and 1 would have been enough)
2 green onions, chopped
3-4 celery stalks
2-3 chicken breasts, grilled
1/2 C slivered almonds
1/2 C olive oil
1/2 C red wine vinegar
1-2 TBs truvia or coconut sugar
1-2 TBs crushed garlic
Salt & pepper
Wine in photo – optional but encouraged
Chop up cabbage, carrots, celery and leek in food processor. Make sure to use the correct blade or you may end up with “riced” salad like I did the last time I tried this. Chop up onions and add to salad. Toast almonds at 400 for 8-10 min, or until they become fragrant. Combine olive oil, vinegar, truvia/sugar, garlic, sesame seeds and S&P in a blender and process for a few seconds. Play around with the ratios and adjust to taste. I tend to add more garlic and vinegar but if you prefer sweeter add more truvia. There isn’t a wrong way to make this. Chop up the chicken and throw it all together!
Verdict? This one’s a winner! When I was a kid there was never leftovers and we both definitely helped ourselves to another serving with this version! If you do find yourself with leftovers, this will still be good a day or so later even with dressing. After two full days the cabbage will give in to sogginess, but I doubt this salad will last that long!
I don’t know why I even consider shopping other places when you continue to raise the bar! Who knew these little banana bites could complete me!
This is probably the first Monday in awhile I didn’t feel like I was dragging. Typically my Monday morning consists of hitting the snooze button for an hour, trying to figure out if I’m just tired or sick. Not today! Of course, on the way to the metro I saw an email letting us know the office wasn’t opening til noon… I guess I’ll just spend the morning catching up while the office is empty!
This was my breakfast. A Paleo “porridge” made up of flax seed, egg whites, apple sauce and almond milk. Recipe courtesy of a fellow group ex instructor, Chase. One of the few people I know who manages to do 3x what I do! Girl even go covered by the Washingtonian!
One of the many reasons I love this town: no shortage of awesome women!
I recently was sent a free pair of capris from a new company called Ellie. I’m going to be testing the boundaries of these pants! With all my running, teaching and general craziness, I’ll let you know how they hold up!
I’ve been in a major food rut lately. Mostly because hitting the snooze button way too many times has take priority over putting together my breakfast and lunch in the morning. So of course today I would give myself just enough time to put together a rockin’ lunch, only to realize on the way to the Pentago metro station that it won’t do me any good on my kitchen counter… Starbucks oatmeal again it seems!
Links I found while procrastinating…
- I have been obessed with this topic lately. I have even gone so far as to begin purchasing natural beauty products. Will need to post on this soon…
- I need a pressure cooker. I was not aware of this until I got the NomNomPaleo app… bone broth will never be the same!
- How do you define your eating? I’m probably more like the 5th shade of Paleo, but I should work towards the 2nd shade for my own health issues. Do the shades matter?
- Sweetest love story.
- Hubs and I had this for dinner last night. Its one of our absolute faves. Somehow, I completely forgot to add the bacon which is unforgiveable.
- This will be made soon.
- I need to stay off Etsy. Bought this and I don’t even need it but its just too cute!